Some people are pear-shaped and carry their weight predominantly in the lower half of their bodies. To reduce fat in the lower areas, there are specific exercises you should do in conjunction with a healthy weight-loss diet. Working out twice a week allows your muscles to recover in between exercise sessions.
Eat Right and Get Moving
- Eat foods that burn fat such as vegetables and fruits. These foods regenerate your system, energize you and increase your vitality, as well as help you lose fat in the lower and upper part of the body. Vegetables and fruits allow you to eliminate more frequently and fully, which gets rid of toxins and bloating. These foods also reduce your cravings for sweets and keep your energy levels at a consistent rate so you don’t get too hungry or tired.
- Work out the quads, which are the muscles on the front of your thighs. Sit down, place your hands on each side of you on the bench you are sitting on and simultaneously raise both legs, stopping before your knees lock. Hold and then lower. Repeat. You can make this more strenuous by using an exercise machine equipped with weights that you lift with your legs.
- Use the leg press machine at the gym or in your home, which works out your butt and your quadriceps. You push the press with your feet, straightening your legs and then bending them as you return to the starting position. Do not lock your knees.
- Do lunges, which will work out all of the muscles in your lower body. You can do this while holding hand weights or a dumbbell, placed on your shoulders, behind your neck.
- Lose butt fat by doing squats–lots of them. To see results sooner, hold a 5-pound weight in each hand while squatting.
- Get on your hands and knees and bring your left knee up to your chest and then extend it as far behind you as you can. Lifting your leg toward the ceiling once the leg is fully extended will work out your butt muscles even more. Do this on the right side as well.
- Try to slim down fat ankles or “cankles,” which may be your genetic predisposition. You may have the tendency to store fat in your lower legs. Fat ankles also can be the result of edema, tendinitis or water retention. You may or may not succeed in losing the fat on your ankles. Consider doing kickboxing or other activities that bulk up your calves and minimize thick ankles.
- Do yoga. Yoga tones and sculpts the entire body while helping you burn fat and lose weight. Yoga improves posture and straightens your spine, which makes you look taller and thinner.